Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Vacation traps

I've now been conducting some real life etnographic observations on vacation and kids foods. Or actually, vacation and food for anyone. And the only thing I can say is: we are lost. Seriously. How many spagettherias can one small tourist town take? Or Ice cream places for that matter. Not to speak of the food intake habits on Scandinavian ferries... or in children's attraction places - now referring to the higher end attraction - the World of Astrid Lindgren. The poor lady must be restless in her grave, knowing what they have done to her legacy. I am so disappointed. But hey, don't know what I was expecting either. In the World of Astrid Lindgren we chose the "best choice" as in restaurants. Still, the offering for children were either meatballs in creamy sause with mashed potatoes or sausages with macaroni&cream.  There were really no dairy free option. And very few gluten free.

Now that we are in Denmark I haven't even seen the menus being marked with G or L or M for gluten/lactose/milk free options. In this little tourist town the icecream bars lies side by side and somewhere inbetween there are a couple of pizzerias/spagettherias. The specialty of the fish restaurants by the sea is nothing less than: fish and chips, and to find a fish that is not covered in breadcrumbs is a challenge. I wonder, why does it have to be so hard to have healthy food while on vacation? Luckily we now have access to a nice kitchen and I just bought an icecream machine... lets see if we can pimp up our choices by DIY-solutions...

I didn't imagine it would be so hard to go on vacation. I wasn't prepared for the common habit of coffee&cake/icecream at least once a day. I have no problem with some rule breaking once in a while but when the exceptions come daily its no longer a rule breaker... it is a habit... and although we are on vacation, I am not too found of such habits. But I guess I am the only one suffering here - the others are more than happy to be on vacation!  hahaha... should have seen how the family emptied the Bambino gelato this afternoon... so funny, have to laugh at our "cravings" for sweets...


Are there any healthy options when out and about these days? Doesn't feel like it... Hubby is right now in line for fresh local lamb meat at the butcher's shop. We'll do some nice stuff for dinner tonight. At "home".

No comments:

Post a Comment