Pages

Friday, April 5, 2013

Ayurveda cooking

I did a course in cooking according to ayurveda principles with nutritionist Nina at "Real Food" (btw, if you need nutritional help in Helsinki I would recommend her- and this is not a commercial, just an advice). The event was really interesting and I learned quite a bit. The plate is supposed to include tastes that activate all your different "senses" in the mouth: sweet, bitter, sour, salty, astringent, pungent. Also it is important to activate the tummy before you eat and in ayurveda eating you do not drink with the food  but before you eat. That was interesting because as I am reading up on the GAPS diet I realize that they have this in common; the GAPS diet only encourage you to drink bone broth together with the dinner. The (filtered) water should be drank in between meals and preferably as ginger tea. All this also to activate the acids in the stomach for better digestion. Chai tea in the ayurveda diet helps with digestion. Only raw milk is ok in the GAPS diet, and that is after the intro-period. So I guess if I'd like to mix the two, I'd have to have raw milk. Lucky me, I have a local supplier for that nowadays!

Also, in ayurveda, what you should eat also depends on your body type, or dosha. There are three of them: pitta, vata, and kapha. We all have a bit of them all but there is one or two that are more dominant. The trick is to find a balance between diet/lifestyle and dosha. Read more here: The three dosha.

Here are some pictures from the ayurveda event:







No comments:

Post a Comment