Pages

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

My point exactly

This editor in chief at the Swedish newspaper Svenska Dagbladet has an admiror in me:

The liberty to choose ends at the lunch table


What else can I say than: my point exactly! Get rid of the sugar, the wheat and the fake fat for our children's daily intake of food at daycare and school! Or at least give us, the parents, the opportunity to have a say in what our children are supposed to eat to become bright and healthy as adults!

Right now special diets in daycare or school are only allowed based on religious beliefs or medical evidences of allergies. Well, the latter is next to impossible, partly because the majority of all doctors are still convinced that animal fat kills (although studies are coming out everyday that this is a misconception) and partly because metabolic syndrome, diabetes, heart deseases, celiaki, do not appear in small children - it appears much later in life.... But still, after all the evidence out there, I believe there is a direct link between both sugar, wheat and low fat to what later become all those illnesses referred to as endemic deseases in modern Western society today.

Therefore, since I believe maybe it isn't so far fetched to consider my thoughts on sugar, wheat and fake fat as something religious and therefore justify the need of a special diet for my children. And this although, I am not even a fundamentalist... I do not think a little bit of sugar (wheat debatable) is bad. Neither do I think small amounts of the wrong kind of fat once in a while will lead to serious complications. But eating it daily, repeatedly, from the age of one until the age of 18... well that is not what I define as "a little bit". Problem is, although I have a slight feeling (to say the least) of having experienced salvation with the impacts that both the low carb high fat and later the wise choice diet have had on both myself and my family, these food lifestyles are far from being religious movements...

If you want more thoughts on this issue, check out the Swedish post on the blog Naturlig mat i skolan Harder to get real butter (in Swedish) or the Finnish post from a lowcarb blogger: School Food (In Finnish).

Note: I have to confess, I have not been very active myself in improving my childrens daycare diet. There are several reasons for this - mostly very very complicated issues. And therefore, this post should not been seen as any kind of distrust in the people that take care of my children. They are doing a great job! And yes I am very happy that our kid's daycare is blessed with a super-chef-a-la-Jamie-Oliver that manages to spice up all these premade powder-based pots and boxes that he receives in the daycare kitchen each day. Things could be worse...

No comments:

Post a Comment