Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The nutritionist and me

Went to see a nutritionist. With a good filter I managed to get something out of the meeting. But OMG the amount of "(branded) foods" on her shelves, provided by Food Industry, and mostly based on grains. The expert was also mostly concerned that we eat enough grains... Such a contrast to yesterday's movie "Hungry for Change"(once again: see it before Saturday!!!). Anyway, a doctor's certificate on avoidance of wheat was enough to not have to start debating whole grains...

She understood she'd better not press me on the margarine issue and I understood to stay quiet. What she did say though, was the rapseedoil is better than olive oil when it comes to balance of omega3/omega6. Is this true?!? I tried argumenting that it is not good for cooking as it will be destroyed in the process. She then said that I should use the normal oil, not the cold pressed, since the normal oil isn't destroyed. Well, we'll skip that advice then, since I am suspicious to industrially extracted oils. Cold pressed or forget it. She was happy to hear that we do have some flaxseed oil in our diet as well.

Then we talked milk. Because as usually, I am concerned that my kids aren't getting enough calcium since we have one possible milk allergist and we cannot be eating yogurts anymore. Well I asked about alternatives as for example sesame seeds. She said these do not absorve well enough, and I actually tend to believe her (but I will make some Halva based on this recipe " Halva" to see if the kids like it). Then I asked about broccoli and almonds. She said the amount you would have to eat to get the daily dosis is to high (1 kg of broccoli). This got me thinking afterwards, is  it really so that a childs body really needs the recommended amount of half a liter of milk every day? Or is this something that has been manipulated by other interests as well. Think about it, 100 years ago how many milking cows did you have around to get your daily dosis of calcium. Naaaa, I am skeptical on this one. But on the other hand I am not ready to sacrify the health of my children either....

So she recommended soy milk - said it is perfectly safe, even babies can have it in baby formulas nowadays. I said "no way José", my children will not be drinking soy milk on a daily basis, that is for sure! Then she said maybe oatmilk or ricemilk is ok... This was anyway a side track, since I said from the start that Kidone can tolerate milk, it is just that I prefer something else if Kidtwo can't, just to not create problems at the dinner table. And the appointment was for Kidone, not Kidtwo, so she did not really have to worry about him...

Back home I started thinking of when did it get some complicated to EAT? Basic instinct of survival and we need dietists to guide us!!! This is where our abundance in food has taken us. We have to ask advice from experts to make the right choices. Insane.

I am with Michael Pollan on this one; food culture is what our mothers (I would say parents, in the name of equality) tought us to eat. But since the food industry has made a mess out of our mother's and our own relationship to what to eat, we'd better go back to what our grandmothers (or great grandmothers) would have recognized as a food. Anything else, skip it. Much of the stuff on the shelves of this dietist would have sparked an enormous amount of questions for my great grandmother. This leads me to the real question: is the purpose of the traditional dietist to lead us in on the path of processed foods? I surely got that feeling based on the stuff surrounding us. But at least my nourishing efforts were considered fine and we had a very diplomatic session!

No comments:

Post a Comment