Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Be ware of "organic"

Today I learned that "organic food" from Brazil is actually just another way of Big Agribusiness to wrap their products in attractive packages for the European consumers. The real organic food of Brazil is called agroecologic and that makes up for over 65% of the Brazilian population's food intake (good for them, hope the small scale farming will survive!!!). Well, agroecological if it is free from those toxins spread from all the soy plantations that is. The average Brazilian has 5 liters (!) of pesticides go through their body each year, a by-product of the industrially produced foods - which most of them are shipped to the external markets. But the toxins, they stay at home... well at least most of them. Anyone care for some Brazilian beef? Fed Brazilian GMO soy?

They soy business and everything it aliments is probably the darkest part of food history on this planet. It just makes me so sad that I want to shut my ears and sing "lalalala". And go figure, just yesterday I picked up a piece of tofu from the grocery store. First one in ages. Think I'll leave it be. Soy isn't healthy anyway. And never again. Promise.

I'll do some investigation on this organic-agroecologic at some point. But now I have to focus on postcolonialism - what a suitable topic after a day like today. Exhausted, and yet another paper to write.

And one more thing; this just shows that true organic food is that which has been produced close to your home. Well, for me what does that mean? Cabbage, potatoes, carrots, oatmeal in the winter, blueberries in the summer and apples in the fall. Forget chocolate, coconut, coffee, bananas, mangos, avocados, almonds, cashew etc... maybe we should move somewhere tropical? Caribbean, wouldn't be too bad...

(Note: my source for this information was maybe not the most unbiased you can find in Brazil, but she served these facts, facts that need to be verified, no doubt.)

No comments:

Post a Comment