Pages

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Spa moments

I don't know what's the deal with me these days... I have not set out to reveal that I am a food fanatic, nor that I am a blogaholic on food related issues - impressive list of blogs I've gathered since September - but still, whenever I come in contact with the outer world, strangers in particular, THEY start referring to their food and health habits, provoking me to reveal some of my accumulated knowledge on the subject.

I already mentioned my visit at the hair dresser the other day. Well, yesterday I paid a visit to the top spa of helsinki at this moment (hubby only gets me the best of the best Christmas gifts). And go figure, I was determined to keep silent about my diet changes and so forth, after all I was there to RELAX! But what do you know, the massage had got no longer than my feet and lower legs when the lady started making points about my health: well first; I need to drink more water (yes, she has a point there!), then I should do stretching twice a day (this is when she got to my shoulders, auch!) and muscle building is also necessary if I am to avoid back problems. She then added that my body seems to be doing ok, no stomach issues and no kidney issues (she can feel that in certain spots under the feet!!). At the point when she started going off on the excellent status of my skin, I had no other option than reveal my secrets: that I attribute my relatively good skin to the exclusion of wheat and sugar.

During our conversation I also found out about her own health concerns and I felt a desperate need to give her advice. By I stayed silent (except for advicing her to quit sugar, obviously) and when I got home and told hubby about the conversation (after giving him a big kiss for the excellent Xmas present) he said that this is where I could have made a difference. That I should start trusting myself on these things already...

As I still find it all so confusing and biased, I have a hard time positioning myself in all these extreme positions: between meat and vegan, between raw and low carb, between fat and vegetables. But one thing is for sure: I am quite convinced that sugar is bad, modern wheat is bad, milk in the quantities consumed up here in the north is bad, and margarine is most definatelly bad.... and vegetables, yes they are good, very good, especially when organic. Anyway, me as a client is in no position to give out advice on nutrition at a spa... particularly not as I have no formal training in it...

Well, the masseur was a true inspiration for me. Her way of confronting life seemed ideal, and I really really liked talking to her. The two hours at the spa was not only relaxation for the body, it also gave food for thought for my overly stressed out mind! Time to start meditation! Maybe yoga, that will combine the stretching with the meditation...

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to be just getting over to your blog after your comment on mine. After reading just a few of your posts, I'm convinced we are cut from the same cloth! I'd love it if you could take a moment and share one of you posts over at my first Linky: http://www.practicallyhealthy.net/2012/04/linky-u-april-30-2012.html. Congrats on a great blog!

    ReplyDelete