Pages

Monday, April 2, 2012

Some Easter friendly recipes!

Here comes what I promised.... Some new recipes I tried out on Saturday.

First from Urban Poser:
RAW Carrot Chocolate Balls

I made double batch, about 40 chocolate balls (or more...who had time to count?)

2 large peeled and grated carrots
1 peeled, cored, and grated apple
2 dl shedded coconut
1 dl ecological raisins (I have not bought raisins for almost a year!)
1,5 dl finely chopped pecans (think these are preferrable, softer taste) or walnuts (risk of bitterness)
1,5 tsp cinnamon
0,5 tsp ginger/fresh grated ginger
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of salt
Ecological Honey according to need (I am always restrictive on sweetners, Urban poser suggest 3 Tbls but that is too much for me!)
3 Tbls nut butter (almond, pecan, walnut, cashew suggested... I forgot to add to mine, I would have used hazelnut because that was all I have at home)
Juice from half a lime (optional, I forgot to add this... yes I was in a hurry, yes the kids were interrupting!)

Grate the carrot and apple and press out as much juice as possible, using a sieve. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well in food processor. Roll dough into balls. Place them, eache separated from each other, in freezer for 30 minutes.

Chocolate Dip:
0,5 dl coconut oil
2 tbls honey
0,5 tbls vanilla extract (be careful with this one, I managed to soak the coconot oil and I think that ruined pretty much the taste of the whole chocolate.
5-7 tbls raw cocoa

Heat to liquid the coconut oil and add the other ingredients. Dipp the frozen carrot balls in the chocolate liquid. The topping on the balls will freeze quickly so if you want to add some decorations be quick. Suggestion as decoration; more raw cocoa, coconut shred, or berry powders (for Easter I guess Buckthorn berry powder would be excellent considering the color). Maintain in freezer or fridge until served (if in fridge be prepared that they melt quickly in the hand).

If you want to see a picture, check out Urban Poser's professionally looking carrot balls. Mine were not so nice, first timer and working with time restriction...

Then the cake, the carrot cake

This one was inspired by the Spunky Coconut recipe and I have to say of all the sugar and grainfree cakes I have made, this was by far the best.

Add to bowl:
4 room temperature eggs (cold eggs will harden the coconut oil)
4-5 dl shredded carrots
1 dl coconut milk
1 dl unsweetened applesauce (just happened to have some frozen that my mom had brought over)
3 tbls coconut oil, liquified 
vanilla powder/vanilla extract
1/2 tsp stevia (yes I entered the stevia world, use honey if you do not have this) 
1/4 tsp sea salt
Combine.

Add:
1,5 dl coconut flour
0,5 dl maca powder (the recipe suggested arrowroot, did not have a clue what it is but based on picture the maca seemed similar - and probably more nutrious, for the superfood that it is supposed to be) 1 tsp baking soda
1 tbls cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice (here I used gingerbread cookie spices)

Mix with electric mixer.

Add:
1,5 dl chopped pecan nuts
1,5 dl raisins


Pour into pan, I melted coconut oil in it first so the dough wouldn't stick. Pack it down and even the surface. Bake in oven for 40-60 minutes on 200 degrees. Let it cool completely in the pan, then go around the edges with a knife to release it (with enough coconut oil it should come off without any problem). Let it cool completely (in refrigerator if needed) and then add coconut cream as topping. Here I am thinking, the coconut cream could actually cover the whole cake, if you want to make a traditional birthday cake. Also making two of these with some sliced bananas and unsweetened applesauce inbetween and then covered with coconut cream would make a perfect b'day cake, nobody would even notice that is is dairy, grain and sugar free!

Strawberry Cashew Parfait

If you want to make it yellow for Easter, try replacing the strawberries with frozen mango cubes (and less dates considering the sugar in mangos).

Soak 5 dl of cashews for half an hour. rinse and poor into food processor. Add 8 dl of semifrozen strawberries and 10-15 dates. Mix well. Add honey if needed. poor into a pan (covered in parchment) or silicone muffin molds. Freeze in freezer for 1-1,5h. Take off the mold and serve cold.


And I know, I should have taken pictures! But I was busy socializing... for once!






No comments:

Post a Comment