Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

On the way home today...

I past by Hakaniemi and got some food. My back almost broke as I biked home with some 10 books, 50 articles and all this in my back pack:



Once again, the Asian&African stores on Hämeentie rox this planet! The only down side to this place is exactly that, the place, it is not close enough to make life easy. They have so much good stuff, so much cheaper than in the normal stores. You'll find big bags of coconut flour, chick peas, beans, lentils, phsylllium flour (which costs a fortune at Stockmann!), cashew nuts, unsweetened ginger (why on earth is all dried ginger in normal stores always sweetened???). My new discovery of the day: Tamarind. It looked like dates and I didn't dare to ask at the cashier what it is (my paranoia of the freak syndrome again, stupid, yes I know) so I kind of bought a "suprise package". It was sweet and sour. Interesting taste. Will see if I find use for it at some point.

Today we ate liver, fresh from the Hakaniemi indoor market. Haven't had that since I was a child, and then hated it. Now it tasted really delicious. The kids liked it as well (ok, kidone agreed to eat once she could pretend she was a dinosaur, table manners will be trained later, right now we are in survival mode...). This won't be part of our daily diet, but I think it is good to eat a variety of foods - including those high in vitamines that we normally do not eat.

I also got some fresh elk minced meat. How much more ecological can one be? Yes, I am not too happy about the ecological footprint that all our coconut products, nuts, beans, avocado and quinoa leaves behind...so this elk meat, which tomorrow will be included in a lasagna (where the pasta has been replaced with eggplants) comes handy. Its fresh, its local, it saves human lives (by not being the cause of accidents on our highways), and above all: its very ecological (except if the poor elk has chewed some pesticide bushes in the wild, you never know these days...)!

No comments:

Post a Comment