Pages

Friday, October 7, 2011

Student food and Friday treats

Hellooo?  Did I really eat this stuff every day? Finnish student food is subsidized by the state. I think it costs around 2,5 euros and that is actually a good deal; you supposedly get warm nutritious food. After having spent x numbers of years outside the university cafeteria, I had forgot what this food was like. Sometimes there is something really delicious but usually the rise is dry, the lettuce and carrots as well and the warm food is some strange looking sauce or wheat-filled dishes. Actually, the best thing at the uni-café where I sporadically eat lunch has always been their bread and their Friday Pizza (Finnish style pizza: lots of dough, lots of cheese and some ham in between). With this kind of offering, it can be a real challenge for me to make a low carb, wheat-free, high nutrious choice. I mean, there is no way to fill my tummy with bread anymore. Instead, I have to do the most crazy combinations, like yesterday pea soup in one plate and the some (dry) carrots, cabbage and salmon balls (that did contain wheat, but without those I would not have made it through the day). I actually used to think that the food at this uni-cafe was better than at many others, especially those in the buildings of University of Helsinki. Well, I gather things change in x number of years. Today I made it all the way out to the countryside campus (Viikki - expanding my boundaries), and guess what? The lunch I had there was 10 times better: falafel with a fresh variety of vegetables from the salad bar - wheat free. And this was 10 minutes to closing time. I think this is worth some more empirical studies in the weeks to come....

Tonight kids got their sugar rush, on chocolate balls and strawberry-mango smoothie. As said before, it feels good to be feeding the sweets that actually include tons of nutrients. These were the ingredients:

Chocolate balls:
- dates
- oatmeal
- coco nut flakes
- coco nut oil
- zip of cold coffee (they still fell aslepp within an hour, no caffeine rush...)
--> Mixed together and then
- rolled in cranberry and buckberry powder

Strawberry-mango smoothie:
- rice milk
- sesame seeds
- almonds
- banana
- strawberries, frozen
- mango, frozen
- organic frozen spinach
- flaxseed oil
- whey protein powder

Yammy - it all turned out delicious (and we still have some choco balls lefties for tomorrow's Saturday treats)!

No comments:

Post a Comment